The legacy and future of the 181st Intelligence Wing (IW) is carried on the shoulders of even the youngest Airmen, and that future begins with the past. Continuing the traditions of citizen Airmen into the 21st century, the 181st IW has etched itself into national and global history since its very beginning.
The 181st Intelligence Wing, Indiana Air National Guard, dates back to 1921, after Wilbert F. Fagley was given authority to organize Headquarters Battery, 81st Field Artillery in Kokomo, Indiana. Fagley's vision and persistent efforts produced this early air squadron in the National Guard.
The Unit was redesignated the 137th Observation Squadron before being changed to the 113th Observation Squadron. It later became the 113th Tactical Fighter Squadron, and the 113th is still part of the 181st Intelligence Wing. During 1926, the Unit moved to Schoen Field and later to Stout Field, both in Indianapolis. Finally, in 1954 the Wing moved to its present location at Terre Haute's Hulman Airport.
for more on the history of the 181st Intelligence Wing.