HomeContact UsQuestions

Questions / Topics

Collapse All Expand All

How is the Air National Guard different from the Air Force Reserves? 

Although the Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserve are both a part of this nation's Reserve Forces, there are a few differences between us. One difference is the Air National Guard serves both the state and nation in times of need. Another difference is that all Guardsmen are assigned to units, while many reservists are IMA's or Individual Mobilization Augmentees. We assist civil leaders during natural disasters, state emergencies and civil unrest. That means the National Guard serves in a dual role and may be called out to provide help in state and federal matters. 

We also have a community mission. Air National Guard members live and work beside you. We strongly believe in assisting and giving back to our communities. We serve as mentors and tutors in local schools, as volunteers in community projects and as liaisons between the military and civilian worlds. 

Another difference is our educational benefits. Both the Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserve are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill, but only the Indiana National Guard offers an annual tuition grant to any state supported community college, junior college, or University, under the State Educational Assistance Program.

I would like to sell a product/service to the Air National Guard? 

Under the Federal Acquisition Regulations, any contracting opportunities/projects that the National Guard undertakes are solicited via normal contracting procedures, including approval from the Acquisition Planning Board. 

For your convenience, to find out about contracting opportunities with the National Guard, log on to the Commerce Business Daily web site at: http://cbdnet.access.gpo.gov. All solicitations on behalf of the Guard can be found on that site.

What if I move out of the area, can I still be a member? 

At the present time, you can still be a member of the 181st as long as you continue to attend scheduled Unit Training Assembly (UTA) weekends. Members who live outside our established commuting distance may be provided a motel room on UTA weekends, free of charge. 

What is the Air National Guard? 

The Air National Guard is a community-based military force. It is distinctive among United States reserve military forces in that it has both a federal and state mission. 

In peacetime, the Air National Guard is commanded by the governor and may be called to state active duty by the governor during natural disasters, civil disturbances or other state emergencies. During a war or national emergency, the Air National Guard may be called to federal active duty by the president or Congress. The Air National Guard serves as the primary source of augmentation for the active Air Force.

What travel opportunities are available in the Indiana Air National Guard? 

Most of our units deploy annually for their 15 days of active training. Training sites have included locations all over the United States and Europe. As a member of the Indiana Air National Guard you will have the chance to deploy with your unit during these annual missions. The opportunity to travel space available is also a great benefit of Air National Guard membership. You can travel free within the United States when there are vacant spaces on a flight.

Do I have to buy my own uniforms and shoes? 

Enlisted members are provided uniforms free of charge. 

Do I have to go to basic training? 

If you have never served in any branch of the military, you will first have to attend a six-week basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas. You will learn Air Force history, marksmanship, drill and ceremony and other basic skills. In addition, you will have to attend a technical career school.

Do you accept members from other branches of service? 

Yes, all branches of service are represented at the 181st Intelligence Wing. 

Does my prior service count? Do I keep my rank? Can I wear my ribbons from another branch of service? 

Prior service time counts for pay and retirement purposes. Individuals transferring from another branch of service do lose their date of rank. However, they usually retain their rank up through E-5. Ribbons awarded for meritorious service or commendation from another branch of service may still be worn on the Air Force uniform. 

How do I find out what will be expected of me at basic training? 

For information on basic military training held at Lackland AFB base, visit their Web site at: http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/737trg.asp.

How long of a commitment is the Air National Guard? 

An initial enlistment is a 6 year committment followed by 2 years of inactive National Guard (while in the inactive National Guard you do not have to attend drills of annual training; but you may be called to serve in a national emergency). 

If you have already been a member of the US Armed Forces, you can usually enlist in the National Guard for as little as a year. Veterans who have served in any branch of the military have additional options available to them including a "Try One" program that allows a veteran to serve for only one year on a trial basis before committing to a full enlistment.

How much will I get paid? 

Along with all the other benefits you receive when you enlist, (college tuition grant, GI bill, specific job training and leadership development) you will also receive a full day's pay based on your grade and number of years in service for each day performed. 

If I am prior service from a branch of service other than the Air Force, do I have to repeat basic military training? 

If you have successfully completed a basic military training course, even if it was with another branch of service, you do not have to attend Basic Military Training (BMT). 

If I join the Air National Guard, will it affect my civilian job? 

Your enlistment with the Indiana Air National Guard should not affect your civilian employment. There are federal laws in place which prevent employers from terminating an employee because he or she is a member of the National Guard. In addition, if you are ever called to active service, your employer is required by law to allow you to return to the same job you had when you left. The Indiana Air National Guard can assist you if you are having a problem with your employer. Most employers know the importance of the National Guard and are happy with the skills and knowledge that Guard members bring to their civilian jobs. 

The Indiana Committee for the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) is a group of dedicated volunteers who will assist you and your employer with any potential work conflicts. For more information on ESGR call 800-962-2443 or check out their website at http://www.esgr.org/

Is it really worth my time? 

Absolutely! One weekend a month and 15 days of Annual Field Training (more commonly known as Summer Camp) is all it takes. As a member of the unit, the pride you will have for your country, and for yourself is beyond words. A little bit of time, a lifetime of pride. 

What about education benefits?

Several education benefits are available to unit members.  For example: 

As you train, you will be awarded college credits that can be applied toward as associate degree in your military career field, through the Community College of the Air Force.  The credits earned may also be applied toward a college degree. 

We offer unit members free Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) testing that allows members to earn college credits through specialized tests. 

Full-time students receive over $300 per month for college through the Montgomery G.I. Bill.  Money for part-time students is prorated accordingly.  

College courses are offered here on base for a nominal fee through Oakland City College and VincennesUniversity.

What are my benefits as a Reservist/National Guardsman? 

For information on Guardsmen/Reservist benefits, contact the Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center at 1-800-525-0102 or visit their Web site.

What are the qualifications for joining the Air National Guard? 

Non-Prior Service:
The Air National Guard has physical, academic and legal qualifications. You must be in generally good health and have no major physical or psychological handicaps. The age requirement to join the Indiana Air National Guard is 17 to 35 years. Perspective members under age 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian. You also must be in high school or have a high school diploma or GED. Every candidate must also receive the minimum qualifying score on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) exam. Your individual ASVAB score will also determine which career field you're qualified for. You must have no major criminal convictions. 
Prior Service:
You must have received an Honorable discharge from your branch of service and be able to complete 20 creditable years of service by age 60.  Your prior service time counts towards the 20 years of service.

What is the Air National Guard?

The Air National Guard is a Reserve branch of the United States Air Force, and serves alongside active duty Air Force members in times of a national crisis. In addition, the Air Guard serves the state and local community in a wide range of capacities.

What other benefits are available in the Indiana Air National Guard? 

Besides offering tuition grants through the State Educational Assistance Program and the Montgomery GI Bill, you will also receive leadership and career training. The National Guard offers great life insurance, free air travel within the United States when space is available, retirement benefits at age 60, and medical, commissary, and Base Exchange privileges. This along with the feeling of pride and dedication in serving your community, state and nation. 

What type of a military retirement would I receive? 

Members who accumulate a minimum of 20 years creditable service are entitled to receive a military retirement at age 60. Your retirement pay is based on your rank, years of service, and total retirement points accumulated. 

What types of careers are available? 

There are more than 50 different enlisted career opportunities at Hulman Field. 

When and where can I take the ASVAB test? 

The ASVAB test is given at several locations throughout the state at various different times. 

Why do people join the Air Guard?

The reasons are as diverse as our members and include such reasons as a deep desire to serve their country, money for college, travel, new job skills, and the pride that goes with belonging to the greatest military organization in the world.

Will the Air National Guard require a lot of my time?

In comparison, for all the benefits you receive with membership, the Air National Guard requires very little time commitment. After basic training and a technical school, you will be required to perform drill one weekend a month and 15 days annual training. 

How do I find out about job vacancies in the Air National Guard? 

Vacancies at the state level are advertised by that state. Visit the ANG Units page for a listing of other state Web sites. Advertisements can normally be found from the State Headquarters web site within their Human Resources Office (HRO) section. Questions regarding state Web sites should be directed to that state. 

Vacancies can also be found in the Careers section of the Air National Guard's recruiter website at http://www.goang.com

Military vacancies for the offices servicing the Director of the Air National Guard and State militia can be found in the Careers section of the ANG site. Civilian vacancies can be found on the Air Force Personnel Center's website. The majority of these vacancies are located in the Washington District of Columbia metropolitan area.

 What job opportunities are available to me in the Air National Guard? 

The Indiana Air National Guard offers hundreds of various career fields for potential members. Members can choose from fields in maintenance, administration, medical, communications, public affairs and more. Different career fields have different qualifications and your recruiter can better match your skills with the career field your best suited for and interested in. 

How can I contact military personnel? 

The Air Force can locate active-duty personnel, as well as retirees, reservists and guardsmen. This information is not available for those who have separated from the Air Force or are Army Air Corps retirees. Information on individuals stationed overseas or in a sensitive position will not be released. However, the locator service will forward mail to that person for up to 90 days, as long as the correct postage is on the envelope and any required fee has been paid. Parents, spouses, and government officials may call (210) 565-2660. If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, please call your local Red Cross chapter. Use operator assistance if necessary, or you may also find your local Red Cross chapter telephone number by visiting http://www.redcross.org, clicking on "Your local Red Cross" and entering your zip code. For locator service write to: 

Air Force Worldwide Locator /AFPC /MSIMDL 
550 C Street West Suite 50 
Randolph AFB TX 78150-4752

 How can I obtain copies of my military records? 

Individual military departments, including the Air Force do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty, or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government. 

An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse, or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number, or present address. 

If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is: 

National Personnel Records Center 
9700 Page Blvd 
St. Louis MO 63132 
Phone: 314-801-0800 or 1-866-272-6272 (1-86-NARA-NARA) 

For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is: 

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) 
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue 
Washington, DC 20408